MOSTERT 3RD AT SANDOWN
Chaz Mostert has finished 3rd at the Sandown 500 for Round 10 of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship.
- Chaz finished Practice 4 in P3.
- Chaz qualified in P3.
- Chaz finished the Race in P3.
- Chaz has moved into 4th in the Championship Standings.
Race 19 – Position 3
A great start to the weekend saw Mostert qualify in P3 with a time of 01:08.5826.
Mostert finished P5 in his Race for the Grid session, improving one place on Co-Driver Steve Owen’s P6 finish.
Owen began the 161 Lap Race but was held up for an hour following a crash on the opening lap that destroyed the tyre wall.
Shortly after the Race restart Owen was penalised 5 seconds and handed the reigns over to Mostert shortly after serving his penalty.
Mostert drove the #55 Supercheap Auto FG X in the top five for the majority of the Race.
Despite stalling on release from a Pit Stop, Mostert rejoined in P4 and was on Van Gisbergen’s tail when one of his tyre’s blew and he veered off track.
Taking over 3rd place, Mostert’s consistent pace landed himself and Owen on the podium at the end of the day.
“THE TEAM HAS WORKED PRETTY HARD THIS YEAR, FINDING FAULTS AND GETTING BETTER WITH THE CAR SETUP. THIS WEEKEND WE HAD A REALLY STRONG AND QUICK CAR, EVEN IN THE WET. IT WAS GREAT TO RACE UP THE FRONT, WE MADE A COUPLE OF MISTAKES BUT IT’S AWESOME TO BE UP ON THE PODIUM AGAIN.”
Mostert will now prepare for Round 11 of the Supercars Championship at the Bathurst 1000 on October 5-8, with all Races to be televised LIVE on Fox Sports.
SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD
- 1 – Scott McLaughlin – DJR Team Penske: 2334 points
- 2 – Jamie Whincup – Triple Eight: 2250 points
- 3 – Fabian Coulthard – DJR Team Penske: 2137 points
- 4 – Chaz Mostert – Supercheap Auto Racing: 2052 points
- 5 – Shane Van Gisbergen – Triple Eight: 1920 points